Writing, Photography, and Publication Production
Summary of Experience:
- Eight years producing an award-winning publication. Work included generating story ideas, reporting, writing, photography, design and production, in print, web, and email versions.
- Thirty years of experience as a documentary photographer producing exhibits of photographs and text illuminating social issues.
- Twenty-five years of experience interviewing and photographing people and telling their stories with dignity and respect, from drug addicts, homeless people and child abuse victims, to doctors, lawyers, construction workers and politicians.
- Published book author.
- Produced reports analyzing complex public policy issues and presenting the material in a compelling format, used successfully to educate state legislators and the public.
- Extensive production experience in Photoshop, InDesign, and Dreamweaver.
- Monthly column, On the Job Site, involves going out to construction sites, photographing and interviewing people. 2007 to present.
- Author of The Front Lines of Social Change: Veterans of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, published by Heyday Books, March 2005.
- Produced the newsletter of a 27,000-member statewide organization of social service workers, health care workers, and county employees. Generation of story ideas, writing, photography, design production, and redesign as web publication. The publication was recognized as authoritative on the issues of child welfare and social services and received numerous awards. The website received over 100,000 hits a month. 1996-2003.
- Organized strategic campaign to educate legislators and public on need for reform of child welfare system. Worked with broad coalition including management, labor, the California Department of Social Services, and community groups. The campaign was launched with the exhibit “Heroes of Social Work” at the State Capital, presented by California’s First Lady Sharon Davis. 2002.
- Art director and designer of The Volunteer, a quarterly publication of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives.1999 to present.
- Other exhibits and writing on subjects including low-income housing, drug addiction, and liberation theology.
List of credits